Teaming Up, Episode 10: Josh & Sean on Media Relations Myths
Media relations is one of the most essential functions of public relations, but there are many misconceptions about how it all works and what strategies will be the most effective in getting media coverage for your client.
In this episode, Josh, co-founder of The Hodges Partnership, and Sean, vice president of media relations, take a look into some of the most commonly believed myths about national media relations and teach us some best practices to start using in our own work.
Here are the five media relations myths Josh and Sean will dispel:
- You earn a national media hit, simply by putting together a media release and sending it out to as far and wide of a prospective target list as you can.
- To get a national media hit, your story has to have a national impact.
- The way you go about a national media pitch is by typing up a news release and sending it out.
- Your story pitch has to be all about you.
- You have to have an existing relationship with a national reporter in order to get a hit.
Watch the full episode below and subscribe to the audio podcast version of Teaming Up so you never miss an episode.